Friday, September 25, 2009

Ok, so I have spent the last month crocheting a baby blessing gown for our sweet baby #3. Sean asked if doing it myself was really cheaper. So I thought about it....the thread cost me around $17.00, the hook cost around $1.50 and the pattern book cost me around $7.00. I usually crochet for 2 hrs. a night and the dress took me about a month...it took me a little while to understand the pattern, so there is some begginer errors. Anyway, the gown is finsihed and I'm very happy with it. Plus I felt that the price was good for it.

This morining I was talking with my friend Robin and we started looking up on line how much a crocheted christening gown would cost and I found the exact pattern I used...can you guess how much they wanted for the gown????




Christening: Petite Shells Hand Crocheted Ensemble
Cost: $195.00
Description:Hand-crocheted for the softest cotton threads, this is a delightful ensemble indeed. Includes cotton linen batiste slip, with French seams. Size 3 months only.
Mine still needs the ribbon put in, and I'll post it again when it's all done. So anyway, that was a huge boost to my self esteem, maybe now that I have the pattern down I'll start making these and selling them. lol

6 comments:

Camie said...

Cara-
It's beautiful! I love it. I'm thinking I'll have to pay you to make two for me. I need one for Kinsie to be blessed in (once the adoption is finalized) and one for our little girls that's on the way! I love it and think you did a fantastic job!

Connie said...

It's so pretty! And what an accomplishment! Plus, from the looks of it, you made this for a sliver of the retail price! Maybe you should go into business...

Anonymous said...

You are awesome, the dress is gorgeous. How are you feeling??? I can't believe your little one will be here soon. Do you have a name picked out yet??I hope you are feeling well!!

OurLittleFamily said...

Hey Cara... you did a great job. How cute is that. I love it. You tell Sean you would love to go and spend the $169 somewhere else that you saved him by making the dress! :)

You should make these and sell them. Start an Etsy shop when you have another one done. You can do it!

I bet you are getting ready...are the girls excited? I bet. I hope you are feeling well and that everything goes well.

Can't wait to see pictures of the baby when you get a chance to post them.

Maryanne said...

Awesome! You did a beautiful job.

Jill Greig said...

You are awesome and your girls are so adorable!